UrbanactionsHK and The School of Architecture of the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) are organizing an International Public Space Design Ideas Competition to encourage the students in providing innovative ideas to upgrade four existing public spaces in the district of Central in Hong Kong. For various morphological, historical and institutional reasons, the city lacks a culture of public space and this international call intends to enhance the sociability of the public spaces in Hong Kong by promoting the use of alternative and specific design strategies which will produce high quality and vibrant public spaces and thereby generating a sense of place among the residents.
The competition is international and is open to all the students regularly attending courses in Architecture, Urban Design, Urban Planning, Urban Studies, Arts and Design. Entries can be made as a group or as an individual. Multiple entries are also accepted, the students have the possibility to submit their projects in different sites.
The schedule of the Competition is set out as follows:
- Announcement: 15 September 2019
- Registration Period: 2019
- Entries Submission Deadline: January 31, 2019
- Adjudication: March 2019
3) Prizes and Awards
For each site the awards will be:
First Prize: 8000 HK$
Second Prize: 2000 HK$
Honorable Mentions: Certification Awards
All prize money amounts are tax inclusive
4) Registration procedure
Participants must register using the form on the competition website. Participants may submit various projects but must register each entry (One registration = One project). There is no limit as to the number of participants per team. Individual entries are also accepted. A registration number will be sent to the participants by e-mail after the registration form is properly completed. This registration number will be included in the submission board.
5) Submission documents:
This is a digital competition and no hardcopy is no necessary. The project submission must contain the following files:
- ONE board A1-size (594 x 841mm) with the project information including plans, sections, and perspectives. The board must be in landscape orientation. The resolution of the boards must be 200 dpi, RGB mode and saved as JPG files.The upper right corner the board must contain the participation number. The file must be named: “Site01_registration number.jpg” (example: Site01_055_board.jpg). The file has to be limited to 15Mb.
- A DOC file containing the project statement (400 words max). The file must be named: “Site01_registration number.doc (example: Site01_055.doc). All the files must be placed in a ZIP folder named after your registration number. For example: 055.zip
Concept design, Plans, Sections, Axonometric visualization, perspectives, photomontages, renderings, photos of physical models. Participants are encouraged to submit all the information they consider necessary to explain their proposal. The objective is to provide maximum freedom to the participants to engage the project without constraints in the most creative way.
The competition is anonymous, participants have to put the registration number in the upper right corner of their A1 board. There should not be any marks or any other form of identification.
Criteria for Judging
The submitted projects will be evaluated by a team of academic and professional experts in the field of architecture, urban design, and urban planning. The entries will be evaluated based on:
+ Innovation, functionality and quality design of the public space
+ Creative response to the existing site conditions
+ Integration of the new design within the neighborhood
+ Capacity of the project to reactivate the sociability of the space
6) Announcement of the Results
The students will be notified by the first week of March. The results will be also announced on the competition’s website
7) Exhibition and publication
The Organizer will exhibit the winning entries both at the School of Architecture CUHK and at National Council of Architect in Milan after the Competition. The best projects will be published on the websites of the Organizer and on Archilovers platform and our partners.
Phone: +852 3943 6583