UrbanactionsHK and the School of Architecture of the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) are organising this International Public Space Design Ideas Competition to encourage students to provide innovative ideas to upgrade four existing public spaces in the district of Central in Hong Kong. For various morphological, historical and institutional reasons, the city lacks a culture of public space and this international call intends to enhance the sociability of public spaces in Hong Kong by promoting the use of alternative and specific design strategies which will produce high quality and vibrant public spaces and thereby generating a sense of place among the residents.
The competition is international and is open to all the undergraduate students regularly attending courses in Architecture, Urban Design, Urban Planning, Urban Studies, Arts and Design. Entries can be made as a group or as an individual. Multiple entries are also accepted, the students have the possibility to submit their projects in different sites.
2) Schedule NEW!
- Announcement: November 15, 2019
- Registration Deadline:
March 24, 2020April 23, 2020
- Submission Deadline:
March 31, 2020April 30, 2020
May 15, 2020June 15, 2020
3) Prizes(for each site)
- First Prize: US$800
- Runner Up: US$200
- Honourable Mentions: Certificate
All prizes are tax inclusive.
4) Registration procedure
Participants must register by completing the form on the Competition website. Participants may submit multiple projects but must register for each entry (i.e., one registration = one project). Both individual and group entries are accepted, and there is no limit as to the number of participants per team. A registration number will be sent to each participant/participating team by email after the registration form is properly completed and received by the organiser. This registration number must be included in the submission.
5) Submission documents:
This is a digital competition and no hardcopy is no necessary. The project submission must contain the following files:
- ONE board A1-size (594 x 841mm) with the project information including plans, sections, and perspectives. The board must be in landscape orientation. The resolution of the boards must be 200 dpi, RGB mode and saved as JPG files.The upper right corner the board must contain the participation number. The file must be named: “Site01_registration number.jpg” (example: Site01_0505_board.jpg). The file has to be limited to 15Mb.
- A DOC file containing the project statement (400 words max). The file must be named: “Site01_registration number.doc (example: Site01_0505.doc). All the files must be placed in a ZIP folder named after your registration number. For example: 0505.zip
Participants have to send all the required documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Concept design, Plans, Sections, Axonometric visualization, perspectives, photomontages, renderings, photos of physical models. Participants are encouraged to submit all the information they consider necessary to explain their proposal. The objective is to provide maximum freedom to the participants to engage the project without constraints in the most creative way.
The competition is anonymous, participants have to put the registration number in the upper right corner of their A1 board. There should not be any marks or any other form of identification.
Criteria for Judging
The submitted projects will be evaluated by a team of academic and professional experts in the field of architecture, urban design, and urban planning. The entries will be evaluated based on:
- Innovation, functionality and quality design of the public space
- Creative response to the existing site conditions
- Integration of the new design within the neighborhood
- Capacity of the project to reactivate the sociability of the space
6) Announcement of the Results
Participating students will be notified by May 15, 2020. The results will also be announced on the Competition website.
7) Exhibition & Publication
The winning projects will be exhibited at the CUHK School of Architecture. All the selected projects will also be published on the Competition website as well as other online platforms of our partnering organisations.
Phone: +852 3943 6583